There are situations or scenarios where simply saving an older version of AutoCAD DWG to the newer version results in slow behavior or other problems. This blog will outline the quickest / easiest method to rebuild the DWG using the newer version's templates.
How to quickly rebuild a CAD file:
- Open a blank drawing from your desired template or use the acad.dwt or other out of the box template.
- If there are any items that you need to change (like Units, Layers, etc.), please make those changes before continuing.
- Use INSERT Command (or CLASSICINSERT Command in 2020 and newer) to launch the Classic Style Insert Dialog Box
- Browse out to the drawing you want to rebuild and select it
- Then make sure all boxes are unchecked except the Explode and Uniform Scale:
then click OK
- Once you confirm that the drawing is inserted properly, and it not in the wrong place, now we want to import the layout tabs to the rebuilt drawing.
- Right mouse click on any layout tab and select From Template:
- Change files of Type to .DWG and browse out to the drawing you want to import the layout tabs from:
- Now select the layout tabs you want to insert and click OK:
- That should rebuild your file using the new template and have your existing layouts as well.
- Now simply Right mouse click and select Delete on any layout tabs you don’t need or want.
About the AuthorFollow on Linkedin More Content by Ryan Wunderlich