Customers need a workaround to bring a Revit model or Revit LT model into Twinmotion when a Twinmotion plug-in is not available.
When a new release of Revit becomes available, the Twinmotion plug-in may not be available for some time. Revit LT does not have a Twinmotion plug-in.
User can export their Revit model to a FBX file to import into Twinmotion. Following are the steps to export a Revit model to FBX, import the FBX into Twinmotion, and adjust settings:
(Note: FBX files can only be exported from 3D views in Revit.)
- Open the Revit model to export to FBX file format
- Open a 3D view. Depending on the 3D view selected, the whole model or just a portion of the model will be visible.
Model in Revit Model in Twinmotion
- Select File, Export, FBX
- Browse to the location to export the FBX to and save the file.
Next are the steps to import the FBX model into Twinmotion.
- Open Twinmotion
- Click the import button on the lower left.
- In the import dialog box select open to add your FBX file to your scene.
- Select option to change how the entities come in to Twinmotion.
- Collapse by material – reduces the object count by collapsing the object based on material. All objects with the same material act as one object. And when material is applied, the material is attached to all object with the same imported material type.
When selecting a door, the door frames and the light fixtures both have the same materials on them.
- Keep hierarchy – Works well with phasing, keeps the model as separate objects.
Single door, light, and wall light are selected only.
- Collapse all – The model act like a single object when selecting any object. Materials can still be assigned to the different object materials imported.
- Select ok and the material Conflict dialog box may display.
- In this dialog box there are options for Use scene materials, Use imported material, or Keep both. At the top you will see the materials will be displayed as proxy objects. The Revit materials do not translate as the do with the Twinmotion plug-in. Use scene material is fine, or we are going to replace the materials.
- Start applying materials from Twinmotion to convey your design intent to the client.
The FBX file can be updated without erasing the model and reimporting the new FBX file from Revit. When the model is updated in Revit to and FBX file just overwrite the original FBX file and refresh the imported model in Twinmotion.
About the AuthorFollow on Linkedin More Content by Paul Sills