Vault users may have the need to identify specific Inventor document types in Vault for downstream needs.
- Weldment Assemblies need to be located and separated from other Assemblies in Vault and then distributed to the production department for fabrication.
- Sheet Metal Models need to be identified to create DXF files of the flat patterns in preparation for fabrication.
Inventor files have an internal hidden iProperty, “Doc Sub Type”, that is exposed to Vault and can be mapped to a custom Vault property.
This document will outline the process for creating a custom Vault Property and mapping it to use the hidden Inventor iProperty.
Create the custom Vault property:
- Log into Vault as an Administrator
- Access the Property Definitions and create a new Vault property.
- From the New Property dialog
- Assign the Name
- Set Type to Text
- Assign the appropriate Categories.
- Map the Properties for Inventor files = Doc Sub Type Name
- Repeat to map the Properties for Inventor DWG = Doc Sub Type Name
For Inventor the values for “Doc Sub Type Name” are:
- Part.ipt = Modeling
- Sheet Metal.ipt = Sheet Metal
- Assembly.iam = Assembly
- Weldment.iam = Weldment
- Detail Drawings .dwg & .idw = Drawing Layout
Once the custom Vault property has been created and mapped, the Custom Property can be:
- Displayed as a property column.
- Used in search queries.
- Used as a property in a Category Rule.
- Have DXF files batch created using Vault 2024 “Create DXF” either manually or as a part of a Lifecycle transition using the Job Processor.
About the AuthorFollow on Linkedin More Content by Hal Carruthers